Best Ways to Keep Your Windows Clean in Charlotte
Undoubtedly, Charlotte, North Carolina is a great place to live, work, and enjoy the outdoors. Many residents and visitors are attracted to the area’s many amenities, mild winters, and gorgeous summers—plus, it doesn’t rain or snow as much as other cities, making the climate generally favorable. With a location that has the Blue Ridge mountains or Myrtle Beach just a few hours in either direction, it’s an ideal place to call home!
One of the very few drawbacks, though, is pollen and build-up on homes. It can be very obvious and an eye-sore on exterior windows. A professional service is the best way to keep your windows clean in Charlotte, but there are ways to keep your windows clearer and cleaner throughout the year.
Keep reading for tips on light window cleaning throughout the year
- Tips for Keeping Windows Clean
- Window Cleaning Throughout the Year
- Hire Professionals for a Thorough Cleaning
- Why Choose Labor Panes?
- Frequently asked questions about window cleaning in Charlotte, NC
Tips for Keeping Windows Clean
Perhaps the biggest asset for Charlotte homeowners and businesses who want to keep their windows cleaned is that the city isn’t close to the ocean, preventing harsh water stains and damage caused by saltwater. Even without the ocean spray, it’s important to maintain windows throughout the year and Charlotte is no exception. Here are our tips for light window cleaning in between professional services:
Choose the Right Day to Clean
While we know that dry, cloudy days in sunny Charlotte are few and far between, Good Housekeeping recommends cleaning exterior windows on a mild day to avoid hard-to-remove streaks and stains. However, if the weather isn’t optimal, you can also start cleaning the shady side of the house first and work your way to cleaning all windows as the day progresses.
Preparing Your Windows
Before diving in with soapy water and a washer, there are a few important steps that you need to take before you get started. First, get rid of any build up on your windows and in the grooves. This often comes in the form of dirt or dust, and if you wet your glass and start scrubbing before this is removed, it becomes a hard to clean mess in the sill and track of your window. Once you’ve removed that, it’s fine to apply your cleaner and start washing. While we wrote these tips for our Florida customers, the same applies to keeping your windows clean and clear here in Charlotte.
Pick Quality Cleaning Supplies
In order to avoid streaking, we recommend learning some helpful techniques as well as investing in quality equipment and a good cleaning solution for cleaning your windows in between professional services. We’ve reviewed some of the best window cleaning equipment so that you can ensure that you’re getting the best equipment for these lighter cleanings. You can find professional-quality cleaning solutions, or blend your own by combining purified water, white distilled vinegar, and mild soap to create a solution that won’t damage the glass or compromise the porous surface of your window.
Window Cleaning Throughout the Year
While it would be nice if window cleaning was a once or twice a year task, it’s really something that property owners should be aware of year-round. The best way to keep Charlotte windows clean is to perform light cleaning in between professional visits. This includes all four seasons, but there’s a different set of considerations with each season. Keep reading for tips on how to clean your windows no matter what time of the year it is.
Tips for Clean Windows in Winter
Many people believe that window cleaning during the winter isn’t necessary, but in fact, it’s actually quite important. Dirty windows can prevent sunlight from entering a home. During cold months, utilizing passive solar energy is a great way to lower your power bill. Here are some tips on how to do a light winter window cleaning:
- Choose a mild, overcast day. Regardless of the time of year, you should avoid direct sunlight to prevent streaks. With more mild weather and warmer temperatures, you can more comfortably clean windows without the hassle of freezing cold or heavy winds.
- Use warm purified water. In winter especially, it’s important to avoid using water that’s too hot or too cold. When water that’s too hot is applied to cold windows, it can crack or damage the glass. When it’s too cold, it freezes quicker, making cleaning very difficult. Using purified water prevents chemicals and minerals from being put back on your windows.
- Wear protective clothing and gloves. For winter window cleaning, add rubber gloves and winter gear to your essential equipment list. It’s easy to not associate window cleaning with bundling up, but it’s still an outdoor chore, and bare hands are still vulnerable to the cold. Frostnip, a mild form of frostbite, can happen—even in Charlotte.
Tips for Clean Windows in Spring
For allergy sufferers, pollen season feels like it lasts 365 days a year. In Charlotte, pollen season starts in March with trees, and sometimes it doesn’t end until November when ragweed stops blooming. When it comes to preventing that telltale yellow film on your windows, it’s best to get a jump on it before it starts. Here are our suggestions on spring cleaning your windows:
- Do it before the pollen starts. Dirty windows tend to attract more build up and pollen, so by creating a surface that pollen has a harder time clinging to, you can help prevent it from clouding up your window panes.
- Take allergy precautions. Whether it’s with medications or masks, treat this chore like you would any other outdoor outing. Not being prepared for allergy season and blooming plants can lead to sneezing on freshly cleaned glass.
- Choose the right day. Spring can feel deceptively perfect every day for window washing, but it’s still important to make sure that it’s not a very sunny day. Choosing an overcast time to wash your exterior windows will help with preventing streaks and make this chore easier all around.
Tips for Clean Windows in Summer
We all love summer for the warm temperatures and outdoor outings with friends, family, and other loved ones. It’s also a great time to do chores that were more difficult during colder times of the year. For many homeowners, this is the time when cleaning the home exterior, particularly the windows, is on the forefront of everyone’s mind. Here are some ideas for helping with this summertime chore:
- Install solar shades. This may take a little planning, but many Charlotte homeowners find that it’s worth it. Installing solar shades to shield windows from the sun is a great way to keep window panes cooler and easier to clean during hot months.
- Avoid using cold water. If your windows are very hot, avoid using very cold water. Rapidly changing the temperature of glass can result in breaking or damage to your windows, necessitating a replacement.
- Work around the sun. The best way to make this chore less challenging is to work around the sun’s schedule and plan to clean windows when the sun isn’t hitting them directly. Earlier or later in the day is ideal, but the best time is during overcast days. If working in the middle of a sunny day is unavoidable, be sure to stay hydrated and take frequent breaks.
Tips for Clean Windows in Autumn
Fall is a popular time to have your windows professionally cleaned, but if you prefer a summer or winter visit from the professionals, you can do light cleaning yourself to take advantage of nature. There are a lot of benefits to starting autumn with clean windows, including allowing more warm sunlight into your home and, for those with the right view, spectacular fall foliage. Here are our fall cleaning tips for Charlotte residents and business owners:
- Use a mild cleaning solution. This applies year-round, but especially in autumn when falling debris can cling to windows. It’s important to use a cleaning solution that’s mild enough to not damage the surface of the glass, but strong enough to effectively cut through build-up and remove debris that might make windows a more attractive surface for grime.
- Be mindful of the temperature. Fall is an awkward time of the year with temperatures that can get cold followed by summer weather the next day. Choose a day that is supposed to be mild and overcast to clean your windows, and use water that’s neither too hot or too cold.
- Consider professionals. This is a very popular time of the year to use a professional cleaning service, and with good reason. Minerals from rainwater, or cleaning windows with chemically treated water, along with debris can all stain windows beyond what a standard cleaning can remove. It’s easier and less risky to call trained professionals to take care of your window needs.
Hire Professionals for a Thorough Cleaning
Although we encourage you to upkeep the exterior of your home throughout the year, we highly recommend calling our experts for window cleaning help on an annual or bi-annual basis. And, while it may be tempting to leave this task up to a house cleaning service, there are some key differences between how window cleaning companies differ from a traditional maid service. When it comes to keeping windows clean in Charlotte, it’s important to contract a company that knows how the area’s climate and terrain may affect your windows, and has the expertise to clean them safely.
Professional Cleaning for Commercial Properties
Own a commercial property in the Charlotte area? It’s important to keep those windows clean as well. There are numerous benefits to maintaining a clean commercial front, particularly for retail businesses that rely on foot traffic. Read our blog to learn more about commercial window cleaning services.
Why Choose Labor Panes?
When searching for the best home maintenance companies in Charlotte, the answer is clear. Labor Panes Charlotte is happy to help you keep your windows clean year around, whether it’s your home or business. And, our other services—gutter cleaning, pressure washing, and gutter guard installation to name a few—can help maintain the exterior of your property as well.
Each member of our Charlotte team has over 100 hours of training and experience before visiting your home, and we pay close attention to every detail—like wiping sills and trim, and cleaning away pesky cobwebs. As members of the community, we take pride in our neighbors’ homes, too. If you’re curious about the benefits of hiring a professional window cleaning company, read our blog to uncover five key perks.
James Willamor, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Frequently asked questions about window cleaning in Charlotte, NC
Have questions about how to keep your Charlotte windows clean and clear throughout the year? We’e answered some of the most commonly asked questions below, and we’re happy to add to the list. Contact us with your questions, we’re happy to help!
What is the best way to get streak-free windows?
Combined with good window washing techniques and the right equipment, cleaning your windows during overcast days is a great way to ensure that your windows don’t streak. this allows you to see any errant streaks and address them more easily.
What is the most efficient way to handle window cleaning?
Hiring a professional window cleaning service is one of the best ways to keep your windows clean in Charlotte. In addition to that, light periodic cleaning throughout the year can help prevent stains and build up as well.
What do professional window cleaners use to clean windows?
We carefully select the right equipment for the job, and cleaning solutions that are mild enough to not damage glass, but strong enough to cut through build up and stains. We also leverage experience; while that’s not a tool, it’s an invaluable part of what makes us good at what we do.
What time of year is best for window cleaning?
Spring and summer are the most popular times of the year for cleaning external windows in Charlotte. We generally recommend avoiding months with historically extreme temperatures and weather.